Saturday, November 10, 2007

Rob Rogers

We received news of a recent tragedy in Italy (http://www.aviano.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123075514). Three guys I knew well, Kenny Hauprich, Mark Spence, and Rob Rogers, died in a helicopter crash. Kenny was full of youthful energy and always smiling. When he wasn't annoying everyone with his awful harmonica playing, he would always be trying to cheer people up when they were down. Mark was a comical cynic. He would spend an hour lecturing you on why there was no value to reading books or why you simply can't trust a man without sideburns. He was kind of like a walking Seinfeld episode. Rob was always laughing. Always prone to the worst of luck, he simply laughed most things off. Rob was one of the best friends I ever had and we did everything together in Italy. I couldn't find any pictures of Mark or Kenny, but I've posted several of Rob.







5 comments:

Chris and Natalie said...

That's a nice tribute, Eric. We're at Aviano for the Memorial Service on Thursday. Sure wish you and Rose could be here.

Unknown said...

Eric and Rose, thank you for posting these beautiful pictures of Rob.

-Rachel Koch

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your words about Mark. It is very rewarding to hear stories and comments about him from his friends in the air force. Walking Seinfeld show...so true. He used to tape all of them on VHS growing up. Ha.

-Michael Spence

Eric and Rose said...

Michael,

I really wish I could tell more stories about Mark. Aside from a short camping trip to Croatia with him, most of my memories of him will be his comical rants in the break room. I will also remember him for his rediculous sticky gloves he bought for our Thursday Ultimate Frisbee matches. Few people took Ultimate Frisbee quite as serious as Mark.

Anonymous said...

I Bet he bought them online for like 6 bucks, too. haha.
My email is michael.spence@case.edu if you or anyone who reads this and knew mark in Aviano want to correspond with me. Thanks