Monday, July 21, 2008

Camping at Towada

We went on our first car-camping trip last weekend with our next door neighbors, the Herrons. We chose a spot up on Lake Towada which just happened to have a fireworks show scheduled for the night. The firworks were quite nice over the lake and lasted for about 45 minutes.
One thing I couldn't figure out was that the maps all had "no swimming" posted at all the waterfronts. I asked a man at the information center where we could swim and he said that there was no safe place to swim on Lake Towada. In limited English, he explained to me that the water was cold, deep, and the cause of many, many deaths. I thought about his warning....and swam anyway. The water temperature was perfect, although it got deep quicker than any waterbody I've ever swam in. Throughout the 2 days, I noticed that myself and a small handful of other young american men were the only ones getting in the water. I'm still trying to figure out if the lake is really dangerous, or if there's a peculiar difference between the Japanese culture and ours. Since I've been here, I've yet to see a Japanese person bathing in a natural water body. They also seem to dress warmer than us for the climate...i.e. wearing sweaters on the beach in the summertime (and of course, not swimming).
There were hundreds of these paddleboats on the lake. I'm not sure what the Japanese's fascination with swans is, but their likeness is used everywhere.
This "lesbian" statue, as called by all of the Americans around here, is the trademark landmark of Lake Towada. After seeing it in person, next to the gorgeous lake and the many shrines, I fail to see the significance.
A beautiful rock with some sort of shrines built atop.
One of the many Shinto shrines of Japan.

4 comments:

Buz said...

Maybe they have a version of the loch ness monster living in the lake...I would have swam too, that is if I could swim.

Eric and Rose said...

I thought about that as well. So, I made sure I only swam in sight of others so the monster would threaten its anonymity if it attacked me;)

The water really was nice, though not as nice as in Austria. I do miss Northern Italy!

Anonymous said...

I frequently camped here circa 1971-1976. The "Lesbian Statue" actually depicts a Japanese princess seeing her reflection in the crystal clear waters of Lake Towada. Ironically, the term "lesbian statue" did not exist during this time frame. A different time, I guess.

White swans are the imperial bird of the emperor of Japan. That is why they are symbolized throughout the country. I guess the nearest thing we can compare with is our "Yankee Doodle Dandy?"

Eric and Rose said...

Thanks for the insight. Japan is full of symbolism...much of which I do not understand. I spent last week travelling to Hokkaido and didn't realize that similar naked women statues abound throughout northern Japan.