Saturday, December 26, 2009

Afghanistan Bound

Well, my trip to Kandahar was interesting.
They put us up in these sweet accomodations during our short layover at Manas, Air Base, Kyrgystan.
My last beer of the year (and for the next 6 months) was a Baltika #9. At Manas, you're only allowed two beers per 20 hour period. I asked the bartender what the best local beer was. He recommended the Batika #5. I tried it and it wasn't a bad beer. But, for my second, I decided on the Baltika #9. The "#" of the Baltika beer tells you the strength of the beer with the #9 having the highest alcohol content, and stoutness. Having tried a couple, I definitely recommend the #9. When you can only have two, its definitely the best beer.
For our trip from Manas to Kandahar, we had two C-130 legs...First Class, of course. The flight, while not the most comfortable, was quite incredible. We flew right over the Hindu Kush mountains. I took a little bit of video footage out the window, but wasn't able to upload to the blog because of my crappy internet connection over here. There's really no way to describe the size and vastness of a Himalayan mountain range. It was simply awesome. Sweet digs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there and hurry home!!!

Keep the BLOG running

Anonymous said...

I havew a tough time trying to get a comment through using the google account so I will just send these as anonymous.

LOYAL AND ROSE