Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Stuff White People Like

I stumbled upon a website I wanted to share, http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com. At first, I felt strangely offended and wasn't sure what to think of the site. So, I retreated downstairs, drank a glass of soy milk, and reflected on some of the things the site talked about. Then, I went back and read some more. I now think the website is clever in how it pokes fun at modern middle-class Americans. It feels funny having someone generalize and yet describe you so well without knowing you. I wear nothing but New Balance running shoes and have long avoided Nikes like the plague. I start each morning with a cup of Chai tea and never finish a day without my starbucks Cafe Mocha. I only recently bought my VW Jetta and my 4-wheel drive Suburu, but wish I would have went with a Prius. I have a closet full of North Face and Patagonia clothing, I'll be running my first marathon at Tokyo in March, and I do like those old movies which take me "back to a time when there was zero hip hop influence in white high schools." They have a list of "whitey" trends of which I'm guilty of about half. Go check it out and see how trendy you really are!

No comments: