Saturday, September 13, 2008

Rock Climbing

I finally had the opportunity to get onto a real rock face. I don't know why rock climbing fascinates me so much. Being tall, clumsy, and not too fond of heights, the last place I feel natural is rock climbing. But, there is a certain rush that comes from facing your fears head-on. On top of that, what other sport has you hanging on for your life by your fingertips and depending on somebody else to catch you if you fall? Plus, isn't it just natural to want to reach the tops of things? Rock climbing is a rush on so many levels.
Darren, the experienced one of the bunch, showing us the ropes.
Mike was VERY hesitant at first, but seemed like a natural once on the wall. Much quicker starting out than me and much more confident in his lunges upward.
Its not as fun if you don't spill a little blood along the way. The rock was pretty sharp and my knees, as always, were always getting in the way.
This is as far as I got up...I wore out quick and couldn't stop my legs from shaking:) But, I'll definitely be back to try again soon.

2 comments:

Buz said...

Once a guy was asked why he climbed (Everest) and the simple answer was "Because it's there." (George Leigh Mallory, Maybe the first to summit Everest????) I shouldn't mention he died trying, but I say go for it...these days we have helmets and ropes for safety and plus it's not like your climbing Everest...yet.

Eric and Rose said...

Yes, we have ropes and helmets, but I guess its still inherently dangerous. But, at least I don't have to worry about freezing to death.

No Everest yet...not that I wouldn't love to try. But, I think I'll start with something like Mt Rainier. One of the problems with Everest is that its prohibitively expensive. You want to go halves?